Homemade muesli, your true ally every morning
Life passes us by while we worry about situations for which the only solution is the passage of time. Impatience, speed and stress cause us to miss out on enjoying the little details of our day-to-day existence. A beautiful sunrise on the way to work, the warmth of the sun´s rays flooding the city´s streets or the wonderful feeling of coming home and resting after a long day.
Sometimes we need to pause and stop feeling bad about it. In short, ... take it easy. How about beginning by applying this philosophy to breakfast? (link to the previous post) Muesli is the star recipe for starting the day. The combination of its natural benefits, flavour and texture are a safe bet for the provision of the energy your body needs every morning.
Muesli can be found in just about any supermarket, however preparing it yourself is the perfect excuse for having a good time with your family. Even your kids will be able to join you in the kitchen and give you a hand. This is the best way of monitoring the origin of the ingredients, while striving to ensure they are as natural as possible and contain no added sugar. Of course, this doesn´t mean it won´t be sweet! Dried figs will be your true ally.
It really is an extremely versatile recipe. All the different variants are based on one key ingredient: whole grain rolled oats. Its properties range from being a source of protein to having a satiating effect. You then add nuts, seeds and dehydrated fruit in accordance with your preferences. In this case, we have chosen pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and our dried figs.
Ingredients for the preparation of healthy homemade muesli
- 150 g of gluten-free, whole grain thick rolled oats
- 80 g of dried figs
- 50 g of pumpkin seeds
- 30 g of sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 50 g of honey
- A pinch of salt
Step by step preparation
- Leave the oven to preheat to 160 ºC using both the top and bottom elements; mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl: the rolled oats, figs, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and salt.
- Next, add the honey and coconut oil (pre-heated to liquefy them) and mix them in well with the other ingredients.
- Spread the mixture evenly on parchment paper in a baking tray to ensure it doesn´t stick to the metal and put it in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes. The ingredients will need to be stirred every 5 minutes to ensure they bake evenly.
- Your muesli will be ready once the time is up. All you need to do now is to savour it and then store it in an airtight container to preserve all its properties.
You will find muesli in countless recipes: together with natural yoghurt, milk, smoothies, in addition to being a star ingredient of homemade biscuits. It is recognised as a complete food, as besides containing oats rich in fibre and vitamin B, the nuts will provide you with energy and healthy fats. Moreover, if you add dried figs, the properties of muesli will multiply due to their nutritional value.